Our grandfather knew exactly why he founded our farm here: Rheinhessen is one of the warmest and largest wine-growing regions in Germany. Located in the city triangle of Worms, Mainz and Bingen, you can find the wonderful Wonnegau in the southernmost tip. Here in the Herrnsheim district of Worms, our wine and vinegar factory is set up as an “Aussiedlerhof“ (type of farm) surrounded with vineyards of the Rhine river. Today, we work with five permanent employees hundreds of meters away from the town center, embedded in a small valley where nature is still within reach. Our team is mixed. We work together as a large family, from a pensioner, who wants to earn a bit extra, to freshly trained masters. It is very important for us to pay reasonable salaries, which is why we are always slightly above the minimum wage. That also pays off, because on average our employees stay with us for more than 5 years. In order to thank our grandfather for this agricultural opportunity and to preserve our surroundings for future generations, we work according to organic guidelines.
Organic crop cultivation is more than working without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Measures such as weed regulation in the lower plant storey, natural irrigation through rain, species-rich greening, use of e.g. Algae extracts to strengthen the plant’s foliage and defenses. In contrast to the sterile monoculture, we maintain the fertility of the soil and at the same time promote a natural habitat for plants and animals by the intensive greening and spreading of organic fertilizer. The variety of plants in the lower plant storey has enough space for meadow herbs such as tansy or wild parsnips, which also benefits the world of all insects and especially bees.
We like to say: “Good material grows in the field”. Due to our lower yields, the plants are not under stress and plant health increases. All of this contributes to the fact that we only have to discard very few grapes, because in good vintages over 95% of the grapes can be harvested perfectly ripe and without pests. The remaining 5% will benefit the vineyard as fertilizer again. With gentle, minimal expansion, we can produce high quality, wholesome and authentic wines and vinegars. These measures are recognised annually with numerous awards for our products. For a few years now everything has been made vegan. Histamine intolerant people find a solution with us: most of our vinegars and wines are checked for residues and such with corresponding values are offered as “histamine-free“ products.
We make no difference in the production of the grapes, whether later they are used for vinegar or wine production. Quality always comes first. This means that the grapes are harvested as early as possible in the morning, sometimes well before sunrise, to protect them from the heat and sunlight during the day. They are kept covered with dry ice all the way from the vineyard to the winery. This creates a thin „steam blanket“, which also protects the grapes from oxidation. Once arrived at our place, they are left to rest for a few hours in order to gain the first flavors from the shell. Then they are pressed and prepared for fermentation in barrels as soon as possible. We then check the fermentation process to the finished wine together with our cellar master and thereby we can put our signature into the wine every year.
In order to be as independent as possible from external energy sources and to keep our carbon footprint as small as possible, we also rely on the sun power in the form of solar cells on our roof. Work with nature and not against it!