Farmer Ulrike Schlierer from the German farm ackerfrucht & bodenwerk, is passionate about working in harmony with the environment and pursues regenerative agriculture. When she is not in the fields, she also enjoys being in the kitchen and turning the fruit of her labour – such as her lentils – into yummy dishes.
Ulrike’s absolute favourite lentil dish in the cooler months is lentil soup with root vegetables. Warming and full of nutrients, it automatically makes her feel cosy and gives her a boost whenever she feels unwell. It is also easy to make and budget-friendly, as well as vegan!
- Peel the vegetables and cut it into small cubes
- Sauté the onions and garlic in rapeseed oil in a medium to large pot
- Add in the vegetables and continue to sauté for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add 1 litre of water and the lentils
- Season the soup with the salt, pepper and herbs
- Add more water if necessary as well as the finely chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives
- Simmer for at least 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked but still a little firm
- Round off the soup with a little mustard and vinegar, according to your taste
- Optional: Serve with fresh bread.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!